Let's Create Haiku Poetry ~ It's Easy and Fun! Anyone Can Do It

 

What Is Haiku Poetry?

Haiku really is easy. It doesn't have to rhyme. You just have to start thinking in terms of counting syllables, instead of rhyming.

   



Haiku = A Three-Line-17-Syllable Structure in Poetry.

Haiku, unrhymed poetic form consisting of 17 syllables arranged in three lines of 5, 7, and 5 syllables respectively. The haiku first emerged in Japanese literature during the 17th century, as a terse reaction to elaborate poetic traditions, though it did not become known by the name haiku until the 19th century.”

For reference and more details, Click Here.


An example of a Haiku poem containing just one verse.

(I wrote this after the loss of three of my rescue cats during the first year of the pandemic. Two were brother and sister, and all had been with me for eighteen years. The animals were my sole companions during the pandemic. Only one more is left.)

Loss and Found – (c) Nancy Wyatt 3021  All Rights Reserved

Example of Haiku poetry style

A Haiku Poem Containing Multiple Verses

A Haiku poem does not have to have only one verse. Here are two examples of using the same form in multiple verses on one topic.

Equality – © Nancy Wyatt 2021 All Rights Reserved

Haiku Sample w Multiple Verses


Fireflies – (c) Nancy Wyatt 2021 All Rights Reserved

Fireflies - Haiku poetry demonstrating rules of 5/7/5 syllables


The Combo of Chakras and Haiku

hands holding a red broken heartRemember, my heart was freshly-broken by the deaths of my animals. In addition, I had an immediate assignment to complete for my writer's group. I had to meet the deadline for writing some uplifting, short works to go into an anthology.

I’m a holistic healer, among other things, so I decided to put focus on each of my chakras. The plan was to infuse them and my mind with the corresponding colors and the musical notes of the scale as I had to think of topics and expressions suitable for something other than a Greek Tragedy. So, you can read my blog on one of my websites to see how I did it. Here's the link

Typically, I am verbose, as one can see by reading any of the pages and posts on my websites. But, my energy was low, and time was short. Thus, I chose Haiku as the format for most of the submissions. I also love it because - if you can count - you can write Haiku. 

I'll share more about the form and history later, but this blog is about much more than Haiku - or even poetry. It probably will be like a kaleidoscope with many different kinds of topics and images. I hope you'll come back to see the latest!




If you would like to ask questions, learn more about metake a class, or participate in a Sip and Share Session on Zoom, just let me know. Any of those links will take you to my website for writing, editing, and training. If you want to know more about the holistic healing, meditation, and counseling things I do, go to My Get Well Guru website: getwell.guru. To email me, please use MyGetWellGuru@gmail.com.

Comments

  1. This is the first post ever on this blog, as I am just teaching myself how to use it. The subject matter will be "all over the place," if I know me! Suggestions are welcome. I expect it to be about various kinds of writing, photography, art, and philosophy. It will be politics-free, as I have other places where that restriction does not apply.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment